There are only two more specimens to collect after this one - my Leaf Collection journey is almost over.  As I bring it to a close, I'm breaking out of the traces a bit.  I collected this specimen in a nursery.  I did buy the plant and I will plant it in my yard, but this specimen is not "free range".  I also amended the scanned Lumen Print with a bit of a free hand.  The paper I used produces lovely colors, but it exposes really quickly.  The plant specimen needs a certain amount of contact with the paper for any detail to develop, so a careful tradeoff is required.  I exposed this one in mixed shade, trying to slow it down.  Despite my efforts, the print came out of the frame very dark - dramatic purple and pink colors, but not what I wanted.  I brightened the image by a full stop and enhanced the color contrast.  The argument could be made that the result no longer strictly qualifies as a Lumen Print.  I can live with that.

lumen_birdOfParadise_201708130_30minVS_IMGFBWG (2).jpg

After bringing my new plant home from the nursery, I've discovered that it might be at the edge of its range here, and would most likely be happier a bit to the south.  On top of that, it is considered a short-lived plant even in the best of conditions.  I can live with that.  I found it growing here in 1968, so I give myself an even chance at success.  And if I get a few seasons of its beautiful blooms, I'll feel more than compensated for my purchase.