Pyracantha

As I come into the home stretch of this project, it’s getting harder.  Harder to find specimens, harder to find stories, and also harder to maintain my enthusiasm.  I find myself getting tired of the aesthetic I laid down for the project, and feeling the urge to move on to other work.  But today I am rejuvenated.  I needed a pyracantha specimen and I called a friend thinking she might have one in her yard - she’s an avid gardener and has a large yard full of flowers and shrubs and trees.  As it happens, she didn’t have any pyracantha, but her husband knew someone in Bonham who did.  On his next trip through there he collected some sprigs for me.  Such a kind act of thoughtfulness is a reminder that community is alive and well, that goodness thrives even in the darkest times.  It restored my optimism and my energy to push through these last few specimens and finish the Collection.

lumen_pyracantha_201708125_18hrsInSh_IB4G.jpg

Pryacantha did not figure prominently in my youth.  It's another of those plants that I accept as a common landscape plant of those times without any specific memories of any specific examples.  I can remember collecting branches of pyracantha to substitute for Christmas holly, but again it does not figure aa a strong tradition.

The paper I chose for this one is a paper that I almost discarded.  My first attempts at using it for lumen prints did not produce anything exciting.  Fortunately, the demands of this project, once I launched it, meant that I had to keep trying to better understand the factors driving my lumen printing results.  I had to keep experimenting.  In the process I learned how to use this paper to advantage.  It was gravitating towards my "favorites" list, and this result cements its place there.